Sunday, April 18, 2010

Then This Happened: Part 108



Print journalism seems to be dying a slow and painful death. Maybe it's actually a fast one? Either way, it's painful and it's sad.

I don't have a newspaper subscription right now but it's definitely something that I want to have one day. I don't want an online subscription either. I want the real thing. Unfortunately, everything that is available online is precisely what's killing printed newpapers these days. I remember the death of printed newspapers being a frequent off-hand discussion topic in my college journalism classes and while I'm not in the loop on everything journalism, I can't imagine that the state of print journalism has improved much in the last three years. Online news seems to be the inevitable.

Devices like the iPad are only going to accelerate the shift from print to electronic. Don't get me wrong! I wouldn't decline if someone handed me an iPad and told me to keep it but it's positioned to do away with newspapers and erase the tangilibilty that comes with a printed paper and I can't get excited about that just yet.

Call me stubborn and archaic but I like opening up a real newspaper when I can. And will the iPad ever feel and smell like a newspaper? I don't put too much past Apple but I don't see eau de newspaper being added as a new feature anytime soon.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: